Wednesday, August 09, 2006

New Year!

Today, 9 August, 2006, is my 45th birthday. I always consider my birthday to be my real 'new year's day'. It's been a while since I've had a birthday when I wasn't surrounded by family and friends--five years, to be exact.

But that, too, was the start of a new adventure. On my 40th, I rolled into Winfield, Kansas, to take a one-year teaching position at Southwestern College. Apart from their website, I had never seen the place prior to arriving. Everything had been done via phone and e-mail, including arranging my house for the year. It was a good year, lots of great professional experience, and the opportunity to make some lasting friendships. My wish for this adventure is the same.

I spent my day by going into central Oxford. I'd never seen Oxford Castle before, and so I went on their tour. Up until 10 years ago, the Castle functioned as the county gaol. Parts of the building predate the Norman Conquest, so they are a thousand years old. It still amazes me that something so ancient is a half-hour's bus ride away from me. But of course, the church here in the village is almost 900 years old, and that's a three minute walk. Anyway, around the castle, there are (for good or ill) a number of upscale restaurants taking advantage of being on what has become a popular tourist site (including Krispy Kreme!). And a portion of the castle/gaol is now a posh hotel. Who would have thought?

I found the Wednesday Open Market in Gloucester Green to be a little disappointing. I was hoping for a real, old-time market of crafts, interesting foodstuffs, unusual items. It isn't much more than some sad looking stalls, and a lot of junk. But it's crowded, so there must be something to it that I just wasn't getting.

There's always some interesting live music on the streets here, from a guy who plays tunes on beer bottles to someone else doing traditional Indian music, and a really fine harpist. A few weeks ago there was a violin trio in the Cornmarket Street (which is now an all-pedestrian area, unlike it was in 1998, when I first stayed in Oxford). So, I heard some music as well.

At any rate, it was a good way to spend my day. The greatest gift of all, of course, is to be here in such fine surroundings, with interesting work and good colleagues.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy Dackson said...

Thank you, Ivanhoe.

It's quiet here out of term-time. The students are mostly gone, most of the staff is taking annual holidays, or using the time to read for either lectures in the upcoming year, or to write various articles or books.

So, at the moment, there is not a lot of visible activity. Just 65 acres or so of beautiful lawns and gardens to contemplate!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home