Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Living more simply (life adjustments, new installment)

This isn't so much about my particular circumstances, but a bit of reflection on the aftermath of the foiled terrorist plot and the disruptions at British airports.

On this evening's BBC news, there was a report saying that over 10,000 checked bags had been lost or misdirected in all the kerfuffle. Worse still, thieves were targeting the lost baggage, and taking electronic devices. That means people with airport security clearances are exploiting the misfortunes of passengers for their own gain. I won't get into what that means about the vetting processes for people with security clearances, but it doesn't make me feel any safer.

At any rate, it got me thinking: I moved here with only 12 lbs. beyond the luggage allocation, even with the new restrictions. Yes, I did send a few packages via postal service, and I'm still waiting for an ocean shipment of household and personal goods. But with three small boxes and two suitcases, plus the adequate but not lavish equipment supplied with my flat, I've been living just fine for about 8 weeks.

I'm surviving, even thriving, without a car, a microwave, a dishwasher. There's a VCR, but no instruction book on how to hook it up (and no place to rent movies anyplace close by). I have six channels of television. And yet, somehow, I'm not really lacking in things to do, and ways to keep my mind occupied.

So, the question is, what can we live without for a two week holiday? I've seen people at the airports leaving for vacations, worried about whether their overstuffed cases will still come under the weight limits. I've seen kids with backpacks so full of electronic games and personal entertainment devices that they can barely stand upright. Do we really need to take everything in our closets, and do we really need to bring 'all the comforts of home'? If so, why travel?

I'll admit to having gotten a little prickly over the restrictions on hand luggage that I was hearing about--I'm glad they've lifted the book ban, and I'm still hoping that they'll allow me to take a chapstick on board the next time I fly. Maybe some hand lotion if I'm really lucky.

But maybe there's a lesson to be learned in all of this about traveling a little more lightly.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy - sorry not to have been commenting on your blog, I had to travel to the UK at very short notice last week and at the moment I'm on a computer with a very active firewall, which has prevented me from logging onto various sites - bbcamerica included. I'm hoping my posting as "annonymous" may get me through.

So, I'm here for a wee while yet. I flew out just before the airport commotion, as my brother in law was seriously ill. I got here just in time (he passed away the day after I arrived). But now, I'm having to wait until 29 August to visit the London Embassy to have my visa renewed (it has in theory been renewed in the US, but I now have to have the actual passport visa updated). Not looking forward to it really - everything is in order, but I can't be doing with some Enbassy bureaucrat who's having a bad day. I'll then need to wait probably around 5-10 working days for my passport to be delivered back to me at my mum's.

Gosh - sorry from prattling on - it's your blog, not mine, I'm just a tad frustrated at the moment, knowing there's so much I should be doing back home.

Are they now allowing books on US bound flights? Like you, I need my book and some form of chapstick, although I have to admit that my book will be something lighthearted to take my mind off flying.

I hope your belongings make it to you in good shape - take care - OM

6:22 AM  
Blogger Wendy Dackson said...

Hi, OM--

fine to prattle. I've meant for this to be a friendly, relaxed space where people can speak a bit of what's on their mind as well.

Tomorrow (Monday, 21 August), my belongings are to be delivered. I've alerted the powers that be here at College that (a) there will be a large vehicle on the turning circle, and (b) nobody is to make fun.

I previously lived in East Aurora, NY--the largest employer there is Fisher-Price. I had done some temp work in their toy testing lab, and people with whom I became friendly saved boxes for me when I was getting ready to move.

So, my erudite theological books are coming in boxes marked 'Little Peoples' Boating Fun' and 'Twirlin Whirlin Roll-Around Turtle'!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Wendy Dackson said...

ps. OM, my sympathies on the loss of your brother-in-law. I'm sure your presence on his last day was a comfort to the rest of the family at least, and to him as well.

Best luck with your visa and passport renewals. At least you can stay with family while you wait for the papers to come through.

I'm not yet sure what's allowed on flights from the UK to the US. That seems still to be in a state of flux. I hope that they decide soon that most women would rather have their lipstick than blow up a plane!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home