Saturday, February 24, 2007

My Other College

Yesterday I gave my first lecture in a 'proper' Oxford University college--Regent's Park, which is a Baptist 'permanent private hall' of the University. I'm affiliated there because the Oxford Centre for Ecclesiology and Practical Theology here at Cuddesdon has linked up with the Regent's Centre for Christianity and Contemporary Culture. My lecture yesterday was part of their Research Seminar in Practical Theology. I was pleased--I spoke on theology of the laity (on which we don't have much good reflection), and although the turnout was small, the discussion was lively. That's gratifying. Even if people don't agree with what you say, if they have an animated conversation about it, it shows that you've brought up a timely and relevant topic. Mission accomplished!

After a little wander in town, I returned to Regent's Park for a chapel service and the Friday evening formal dinner. Drinks for staff and their guests in the Senior Common Room, with a quite nicely done table served dinner, and then coffee back in the SCR.

It was lovely to be in a room with candles, china, and tablecloths, and where people had dressed to honour the occasion. I know a lot of people sneer at formality--I rather think it reminds us to behave like civilised adults. People do tend to rise or sink to meet the expectations set, and I'd rather rise, and I'd rather that others do, too. Additionally, it is always delightful to be in the company of people who have interesting ideas, and who want to hear the interesting ideas that you have, too.

Although I've never been to Baptist worship before in my life, it did not feel strange. It was a communion service, and although Baptists and Anglicans have different theologies of many things, there was nothing in their service that I couldn't say with a happy heart. Most especially, I liked the words of mission at the end:

Time has now come for us to leave this place.
As we do, may we embrace the challenges of our lives and of our world.

Do not try to exceed your commission.
Life is too short for grand gestures followed by self pity in the hour of failure.

Go out to serve Christ without anxiety.
Do what you can.
Entrust to others what you must.
And dedicate both your successes and your failures to the greater glory of God.

It is not a bad prayer, and easily adaptable to just about any religious tradition with the alteration of a word or two--or, with slightly different wording, to people of goodwill who do not subscribe to any theistic system of belief.

We could use more of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home